Friday, August 21, 2009

Fishcakes & Cucumber Chips



Serves 4

1/3 cup crushed cornflakes
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 Tablespoons milk
¾ teaspoon dried dill weed
1 (14 ½ oz) can salmon, drained and skin and bones removed
¾ cup Panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
tarter sauce

1. Stir together cornflake crumbs, eggs, milk, dill weed and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Add salmon; mix well.
2. Pour Panko into a shallow dish.
3. Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
4. Shape salmon mixture into 4 large egg-shaped balls. Flatten each into ¾ inch thick oval. Pinch one end of each oval into tail shape for fish. Carefully dredge both sides of fish in Panko.
5. Place fish into skillet and cook 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown. Carefully turn over and continue to cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Place small drop tartar sauce on each fish for “eye”.

Served with cucumber chips (cucumber & basil salad for the adults)

Results: Fun to make and actually pretty tasty. I have never used canned salmon before and although it tasted fine, I’m not sure I would use it again. Removing the bones was a pain! I think you could substitute grilled salmon very easily. Henry ate about half of his, Steven ate about a third (but said he didn’t like it.)

1 comment:

  1. I was prepared to tell you what a flop this dish turned out to be. (I had visions of it falling apart.)But, I did everything right and it was a success. I broiled a piece of salmon, instead of using canned, for about 10 minutes, then broke it up into small chunks. I did have to add more crushed corn flakes because the mixture was a bit too moist to shape.

    I thought it was very tasty. Elliott liked it until he had eaten all of the tail and when it no longer resembled a fish he informed me, "Me no like this funny fish no more."

    Super easy to make. I would do this one again.

    ReplyDelete