Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Cauliflower Fritters


Recipe from Gina's Skinny Taste

Serves 12 (The recipe says it makes 24 fritters, and a serving is two fritters. I followed the instructions exactly, but it only made 10 fritters. Go figure.)

4 cups steamed cauliflower (roughly chopped)
2 cloves garlic, crushed (I think she meant minced or chopped. Otherwise, one fritter could end up with a huge chunk of garlic!)
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup Pecorino Romano (I used Parmesan)
1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
1/4 cup hot water
salt and pepper
1/4 cup olive oil

1. In a large bowl, combine cauliflower, flour, garlic, eggs, grated cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Add water so that batter becomes slightly more dense than pancake batter. (What a weird description. This lady must make some pretty weird pancakes. It is so lumpy, I don't know how you could even compare this batter to pancake batter.)

2. On medium-low heat, add 1 tbsp of oil in a 10 inch skillet coating bottom of the pan. Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to form fritters. You can fit 4 fritters at a time. Cook until golden brown, turn and cook another few minutes. Add Add a little more oil to the pan, and repeat with the remaining batter.

Results: I was really excited to try these, but I was disappointed. First of all, that is A LOT of oil to cook these in! I only used 2 tablespoons, but they seemed so greasy. It felt so fattening, at a time when I am trying to lose some weight! Taste-wise, they were just OK. Chris didn't like them at all. Henry, on the other hand, LOVED these! His words were "I one billion, one billion, one billion.......(fill in one billions here)....times love these." Then he overheard me say to Chris that "I wouldn't repeat this." And you would have thought I took his favorite stuffed animal and flushed it down the toilet.

Me: "I wouldn't repeat this."
Henry: "What? The fritters? WHY NOT? But I LOVE THEM! You have to make this forever everyday!"
Me: "Ok, Henry."
Henry: "I want these for lunch tomorrow. And also for dinner on Saturday when it is dessert night."
Me: "OK, Henry."
Henry: "Because I LOVE THEM!"

BUT, if you have any interest at all in trying these, you absolutely should, because based on the reviews, Chris and I are the only people in the world who didn't like these. The comments on Gina's Skinny Taste overwhelmingly admit their awesomeness. Steven, of course, wouldn't even pretend to try them.

No comments:

Post a Comment