Friday, May 20, 2011

Bowties with Broccoli Pesto


Serves 4
Prep time & cooking time: 45 minutes (It was hard to separate the prep time and cooking time, because you are sort of constantly working on this meal. From pulling ingredients out of the pantry to having the meal on the table was 45 minutes, BUT, if you have a larger food processor (mine is so tiny and I had to work in three batches) this will come together much faster for you.)

8 ounces whole wheat farfalle
2 cups broccoli florets
3 tablespoons water
1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons pine nuts
2 garlic cloves, halved
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup reduced-sodium vegetable broth
2 teaspoons olive oil
Grated zest of 1 lemon
6 dry-packed sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced

1. Cook farfalle according to package directions, drain and keep warm.

2. Meanwhile, place broccoli and water in medium microwaveable dish. Cover and microwave on high until tender, 2-3 minutes; drain. Rinse under cold running water; drain again.

3. To make pesto, place broccoli, basil, Parmesan 1 tablespoon of the pine nuts, the garlic, salt, and pepper flakes in food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped. Add broth and oil; process until smooth.

4. Combine pasta, pesto, and lemon zest in large serving bowl; toss to coat. Sprinkle with sun-dried tomatoes and remaining 1 tablespoon pine nuts.

Served with garlic-cheese toast.

Results: I was all prepared to hate this dish. I'm a huge fan of pesto, and I just knew that I would think "Nice try, Weight Watchers, but FAIL!" Nope, this dish was delicious! The broccoli pesto was so fresh and tasty. I loved it! I put half the pesto mixture in the freezer to use another day (I knew the boys wouldn't eat anything GREEN.) We had some leftovers and they were delicious cold for lunch the next day. Takes some effort to make, but this is a new favorite!

1 comment:

  1. Can I just tell you how much I am looking forward to your cooking, uh, I mean visit in July?

    ReplyDelete