Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Gnocchi with Peas, Proscuitto and Asparagus


I found this on Two Pink Hippos (they are my new fave this week)

Serves 4 (perfectly!)

16 oz packaged gnocchi
2 tbsp butter, unsalted
1/2 bunch asparagus, chopped into 1" pieces
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
3 oz proscuitto, sliced into thin strips
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

1. Start a large pot of water boiling, for the gnocchi. Add gnocchi and boil, until they float to the top, about 5 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt 1 tbsp butter, over medium heat. Add asparagus and saute for about 2-3 minutes, then stir in peas and chicken broth. Cook for another 3-4 minute, until asparagus is tender and peas are soft. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to low to keep warm.

3. Drain gnocchi and add to the skillet with 1 tbsp of butter. Add proscuitto and cook together for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally so sauce and gnocchi mix.

4. Garnish with Parmesan cheese.

Results: YUMMMMMMM! This was delicious. I've changed the cooking instructions, because our proscuitto was overcooked, but this recipe is still a keeper! Let me just tell you how next to impossible it was to find gnocchi though! I went to two grocery stores and had just about given up when I finally asked for help (and the clerk had NO IDEA what I was talking about.) A store manager finally led to to them in the Ethnic aisle, with the imported foods. (Behind a display of Kraft Parmesan cheese, no less!) I was expecting them to be refrigerated or frozen, but they were a dry good on the shelf. So, if you can't find them, don't give up! You must try this recipe!

Perfect to serve to dinner guests too!

1 comment:

  1. I made this last night and it was sooo easy and quick to make, so you know I was happy. Elliott loved the gnocchi. I'll be keeping this one on my make-again list. I think next time I might add some lemon juice or basil just for a bit more flavor.

    ReplyDelete