Sunday, April 3, 2011

Slow Cooked Pork Carnitas


Recipe from Gina's Skinny Recipes

Serves 8 billion

2.5 lb pork shoulder blade roast, lean, all fat removed
6 cloves garlic, cut into slivers
cumin
adobo (I couldn't find adobo, so I just added some extra sauce from the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce)
garlic powder
3/4 cup 99% fat free chicken broth
2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (I used 3, p.s. you can freeze any that you don't use)
2 bay leaves

1. Season pork with salt and pepper. In a medium pan, sauté on medium-high heat, brown pork on all sides for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Using a sharp knife, insert blade into pork, cutting small holes and insert garlic slivers. Season pork generously with cumin, adobo and garlic powder all over.

2. Pour chicken broth in the crockpot, add bay leaves and chipotle peppers. Place pork in crock pot and cover. Cook low for 8 hours. After 8 hours, shred pork using two forks and combine well with the juices that accumulated at the bottom. Remove bay leaves.

Served with tortillas, rice (with cilantro and lime) and avocados.

Results: First, I've got to give Henry some props, because he helped me make this dish. Props, Hen!

Second, this was fantastic! Everyone loved this, except for Voldemort...I mean, He Who Shall Not Be Named. He would only eat the rice and the tortilla (but only the part that didn't touch the pork.) Everyone (except for me, because I'm disciplined like that) went back for seconds, even Henry. The pork had just the right amount of flavor, without being spicy at all. It was a little more difficult to prepare than I like my slow cooker recipes to be, but it was totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment