Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Grilled Brie and Apple Sandwiches


Serves 2

1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup apple cider, or apple juice
4 slices sourdough bread
1 small Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
2 oz brie cheese, thinly sliced

1. Spray a large, nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Place pan over medium-high heat and add onions. Sauté until soft and golden brown, adding cider as needed to prevent burning. (For realsies, listen to this instruction! Mine got a little burnt!)

2. Lay 2 slices of bread on a clean surface and divide apple slices, Brie and
caramelized onions among them. Cover each with a second piece of bread. Spray skillet again and set over medium heat. Grill sandwiches until cheese melts and bread browns. (I had to cover the skillet to get the brie to melt. Grilling these sandwiches just isn't enough heat to melt brie.) Cut into halves and serve hot.

Served with a salad (using leftover dressing from this recipe.)

Results: Ohhhhh...it looks so good, doesn't it? I really, really wanted to like this sandwich more than I actually did. I love brie. I love caramelized onions. I like apples. And sourdough bread. Forget about it! But...alas...this sandwich was merely mediocre. Both Chris and I were a little disappointed. It didn't taste bad in any way, it just didn't WOW me the way I expected it to. :-( Boo for me!

Recipe from Weight Watchers

No comments:

Post a Comment