Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Kahlua Pork


Serves 6-8
Prep time: 5 minutes, Cooking Time: 8 hours*
(*Note: the original recipe claims the cooking time was 16 hours (no, that is NOT a typo!) on low. I cooked it for 8 hours on high and mine was burnt!)

3 lb pork shoulder blade roast, lean, all fat removed
1 tbsp liquid mesquite smoke
1 tbsp coarse sea salt
Romaine lettuce (optional)
Rice (optional)
Hoisin sauce (optional)

1. Place pork in the crock pot and stab it all over with the tip of a knife. Rub sea salt all over pork. Drizzle the liquid smoke all over and set crock pot to low; cook about 16 hours. (I've left the original directions here so you can try or not try this yourself. Mine was cooked on high for 8 hours and was burnt.)

Results: I had mine wrapped in romaine lettuce with rice and hoisin sauce. Chris and Henry ate theirs plain. Steven wouldn't touch it, even though it was dessert night, and we were having Chocolate Chip Cheesecake for dessert. He didn't get any dessert. Overall, this was just OK. I've had better pork from the crock pot. The liquid smoke was....interesting. At first, it smelled awesome, like someone was cooking bacon. But by the end of the day, it smelled like we had a campfire going in our kitchen. I think I am being a bit negative though, because I was so disappointed at how BURNT this was! We had parts of the pork that I could barely cut with a sharp knife...they were practically beef jerky! I think I would try this again, though, because it was SOOOOOO easy! I'll watch the cooking temperature next time.

This recipe came from Gina's Skinny Recipes. She put a pretty little flower on hers. Maybe I should have tried that!

No comments:

Post a Comment