Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Zucchini-Potato Pancakes with Eggs


Serves 4
Prep Time & Cooking Time: about 1 hour!
(Note: This recipe was good, but two things irritate me about it. One) I got this recipe for the "Cooking Light, 5 ingredient, 15 minutes" cook book. Let me point out the ingredients list, which is 11 ingredients! And 2) They claim the prep time on this is FOUR MINUTES! Seriously? I don't know about you, but my zucchini doesn't come shredded. My eggs don't come separated and lightly beaten. All of this stuff takes time, and I feel like this recipe is a BIG FAT LIE!)

There. I got that off my chest.

2 cups refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
1 cup shredded zucchini (about 1 small)
1/4 cup panko
1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 large egg whites, lightly beaten
Cooking spray
4 large eggs
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Fresh salsa (optional)
Reduced fat sour cream (optional)

1. Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl.

2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; generously coat pan with cooking spray. Spoon about 1/2 cup potato mixture into 2 circles in pan. Cook 5 minutes; turn and cook 4 minutes or until potato is tender. Remove pancakes from pan; keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining potato mixture.

3. Reheat the pan over medium-high heat, and generously re-coat pan with cooking spray. Fry four eggs. (Sheesh...you should have read the instructions for this one!)

Slide 1 egg onto each pancake. Top with salsa and sour cream. Served with spinach and strawberry salad.

Results: These were good, and easy, but took way too long to make. For that reason, I doubt I'll make them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment